Bubbles!

Last year I learned a lot about myself, life and faith and it wasn’t easy. In 2019 I’m coming in hot and I won’t look back. Since transitioning from a traditional workplace job to something from home, I had the opportunity to go out into the community more and pay attention to the people around me.

While studying the history of the Pharisees I saw a lot of similarities between them and the modern church, that’s why spent last year exploring the analogy. The most shocking similarity between the two groups is religious people tend to flock together in the same circles and never change.


The Pharisees like their counterparts the Sadducees often threw their knowledge around in the Jewish community. They were notorious for looking down upon the poor, Jesus taught we can see the heart by your love for others (John 13:35).

This is why Jesus often told parables to illustrate true greatness; His teachings challenged the paradigm of the Jewish community. Then again the Jewish people had a history of being divided. When King Solomon’s son took over, Israel split; Israel in the north and Judah to the south.

Almost 120 years ago America split also. As I watch the news, I see a country that is divided and broken more now than ever and not just because of race. Sadly, religious views are tearing this country apart.

I’ve lived in the South most my life and hear the term Bible Belt professed, but it’s more like a bubble belt. While there are some who adhere to the Bible, most just run around in religious circles and rarely venture out of their comfortable bubbles.

BUBBLES?

I’m not talking about the fun illusions most of us grew up with; I’m referring to religious cliques. Cliques have one thing in common with playful bubbles, how they exist. And I’m not talking about how the Spirit moves.

Bubbles are a small body of gas within a liquid; a delusive scheme. Bubbles are one state within another and drift from one place to another, often in large groups. They don’t last long but are fun enough to preoccupy kids.


As we grow in the faith we should let go of the little things (Hebrews 5:12-14). We are called to grow up and go into the world, not just stick together and make each other feel good by telling a lullaby.

When I first got back into church I read The Roaring Lambs; it challenged me to grow and go in my faith and to give everything. Bob Briner states, “To the average Christian salt is something that comes in a blue box and hides on the shelf until it’s needed.... salt must be brought in contact with its object for its power to be realized. Sitting in the shaker, it does no good.”

Of course, it’s comfortable in our saltshaker churches. And somewhat safe, I know we live in days that are dangerous for Christians. But if we truly believe the Bible, then we know God is with us like He was with the first disciples when He commanded them to get busy and go make disciples (Matthew 28:16-20).

After the crucifixion, most of the followers of Christ went into hiding; even the original 12 disciples got comfortable, that’s why I’m on my 116. The church is an epiphany of Christ to the lost.

COMFORTABLE?

No one said being a Christian would be easy or safe, just that it’s worth it. In fact, Jesus made a point that following Him would be hard (Luke 10:3). If it seems like the times we live in are hard for Christians, perhaps there’s a reason.

Maybe God allowed the trials and changes this year to chisel me so He can use me more in the future. What if I’m more concerned about others than becoming the greatest me ever?

God knows there’s got be a change or else you and me are just the same as the world around us. The early church was willing to die for the faith, we can’t be God’s messengers to our communities because we’re not comfortable in the wrong crowds.


Persecution caused the gospel to spread around the globe in the first century; maybe it needs to happen again. Brenner continues, “To be the kind of so Christ spoke about is to be on the cutting edge, in the fray, at the forefront of battle.”

Christians need to make war with ourselves and say goodbye to our comfort zones, like you, I am not my own. The early church gave the whole 9 and was crushing snakes. While exiled for the faith John advised the early church to be in the world, but not of it (1 John 2:15-17). The only way to be the light is to get out of our religious bubbles!



2 comments:

  1. This is a sobering thought: "The early church gave the whole 9 and was crushing snakes." Thanks for the reminder to examine our lives and actions, here at the start of a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the reminder that the salt has to be shaken from its box to do its job. It does no good sitting on a shelf. Too often I watch others from my window and wonder why my life doesn't look like their life. However, God only called me to be me. If I am so focused on others, God won't be able to grow me. I answer to God for my life, not theirs. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete