Show-offs!

Over the last few months I’ve been trying to listen to the advice and wisdom of my former teacher and current writing mentor. She is trying to help me grow as a writer.

Sometimes her input cuts like a knife. She cares about me and my writing career. I know she wants to see me succeed. I respect the fact that she doesn’t hold back and is honest with me. That is why I check in with her from time to time about my writing.

I believe in listening to and imitating people I want to be like and not those who are where I am. This is why King Solomon warns us to choose our friends wisely (Proverbs 12:26). Foolish people run from wisdom and do foolish things. This is the final no-brainer blog.

Foolish?

King Solomon had a lot to say about foolish people (Proverbs 13:20, 14:6–7, 27:6). The thought of one bad apple spoiling a whole bunch is accurate. We’ve all made bad choices when it comes to friends.

I used to do it too. When I was younger I was a nerd and longed to fit in with the crowd. As I compromised my beliefs, I tread the path of fools. My accident made me man up.

I’ve been pretty open about my past and discrepancies. I don’t share my history of drinking, drugs or premarital sex to boast. I just want to be transparent about my mistakes, so others can learn from them. And hopefully I can as well.

There are always little pieces of our old selves that can drag us down. Old habits die hard. In the A.A. movement the saying is, “Alcohol is like a sleeping tiger that is just waiting for the right time to strike.”

It’s not just alcohol, recently I began flirting with a relationship that I knew wasn’t good for me. But, I still pursued it and I’m having a hard time letting go of it.

A fool returns to his folly like a dog returns to his vomit (Proverbs 26:11). Perhaps this is why women call men dogs. Although many don’t care, the Bible is full of wisdom for the foolish today.

Care?

Foolish people deny God and ignore His Word (Psalm 14:1). Christians can’t do that. We are to represent the light of God and His Love for others in this lost world and for each other. Real friends stand by us and turn the lights on our weaknesses.

This is what my mentor is doing when she tries to help me with my writing and it’s the reason why my blogs have changed so much over the past few years.

Not because of anything I’ve done, but what God has done through others to help me not be tied up in myself. To go on boasting about myself would be wrong (2 Timothy 1:9).

When our Lights shine, God is glorified, not us. Or else we’re show-offs (1 Corinthians 13:4)!







No comments:

Post a Comment