Something Electric?(Remixed And Reposted)

The prophet Moses tells us that, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, 'Let there be light.' God saw the light was good (Genesis 1:1-3)", so it begins.

Contrary to what the Bible says scientists have a big bang theory: about 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What existed prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurrence was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe.

Immediately after the Big Bang, as one might imagine, the universe was tremendously hot as a result of particles of both matter and antimatter rushing apart in all directions. As it began to cool, at around 10^-43 seconds after creation, there existed an almost equal yet asymmetrical amount of matter and antimatter. As these two materials are created together, they collide and destroy one another creating pure energy. As the universe expanded further, and thus cooled, common particles began to form. These particles are called baryons and include photons, neutrinos, electrons and quarks would become the building blocks of matter and life as we know it. During the baryon "genesis" period there were no recognizable heavy particles such as protons or neutrons because of the still intense heat. At this moment, there was only a quark soup. The universe began to cool and expand even more.

Whatever happened, it must've been a pretty spectacular and indescribable, an amazing sight as God worked hard. Aside from the fact that psychology teaches us men are more visually stimulated than women, I've always had an active and visual imagination. Typically when I watch a movie, in my mind I break what I see down into how it looks when its written on paper. The wisest man ever warned us that God's people would perish without a divine vision ( Proverbs 29:18),vision is the word commonly used of the revelation of God's will made to prophets and it always edifies the church. not the people. Is there something in your eyes? Are you WALKING ON A DREAM God has given you?There's no need to consult some crook..I mean pophet. Don't drink the Koo-laid church, just watch for the doors God is opening in your life and follow Him.

After I finished my last blog I decided to finally go and see the new Step Up movie for some INSPIRATION. Within the first 2 minutes of the opening flash mob scene I felt that still small voice begin to stir inside and I thought to myself here I go again. As I watched each dancer dance a different style ranging from hip-hop to ballet to modern dance, I began to see the big picture.

I began to see and remember that this is how God intended for the church to work. Listen close to what the apostle Paul wrote to the church ( Romans 12:4-5, 1 Corinthians 10:17, 12:12-27). You see, God created each one of His children with a special and unique purpose in mind (Psalm 139:15-16, Isaiah 49:1-5, Jeremiah 1:5, 10, 1 Corinthians 8:3, Galatians 1:15) and ultimately each of us will bring glory to Him. Thus we need to LIVE TO THE MUSIC of our own lives. Professor and writer Joseph Campbell once noted, "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." This is part of dying to the OLD SELF, that's living crucified (Galatians 2:20-21).

When we stop fighting God, surrender and let Him work His will in our lives; when we as Henry Blackaby says, "Watch where God is working in our lives and join Him," we find our purpose in life and there is a sense of completeness. When we work within the boundaries of who God created us to be there is satisfaction and no LIMITATIONS to what we can accomplish for God's glory and our lives will NEVER BE THE SAME. Remember, God had His eyes on you before you were a sparkle in your parent's eyes; for He knit you together in your mother's womb ALL FOR A PURPOSE that only you could fulfill (Job 10:11, Psalm 119:73, 139:13, Ecclesiastes 11:5 , Isaiah 44:24). After my accident I learned that the human brain continues to grow after we are born and isn't fully developed until we are in our mid-20s. John Piper recently tweeted, "The fruit of wisdom grows in the soil of obedience. "I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts." Psalm. (119:100).

Let me clarify, I'm not endorsing that God predestines us which nullifies the free will dance I mentioned in my last blog, but PREPAID for us through the redeeming sacrifice of His Son. David Platt notes,"I believe that God has uniquely created every one of His people to impact the world. Some may count it as idealistic, but I believe it is thoroughly biblical, rooted in Psalm 67:1-2, yet covering Scripture from beginning to end. God is in the business of blessing His people so that His ways and His salvation might be made known among all people."

In his book Honest To God, Bill Hybels explains, "God intends our work to be a natural expression of who we are, consistent with our inherent interests and abilities. When it isn't, we feel out of place, insignificant, and either bored or defeated. When it is, we feel like we have something important to contribute, and we're challenged without being overwhelmed... He wants our labors to energize us and pump vitality into our daily lives." I can personally relate to this, the feeling I get while writing is unexplainable. After I finished my last class with the Christian Writer's Guild I decided to fix up my man-cave at home. Now, every time I sit in my office chair it's like climbing into the cockpit of an airplane and I can't wait to see where God is going to take me artistically and spiritually.

Hybel continues, "God wants each of us to enjoy vocational authenticity, which begins with having a job with our God-given motivated abilities. .. The second requirement for an authentic job life is that we do our work for the right reason: to please and to glorify God. When a Christian walks onto the jobsite he should be thinking about more than making money, impressing the boss, or even how much he enjoys his work. He should be conjuring up ways to honor God through his marketplace and others (Colossians 3:23-24). Many people see work as necessary evil. They endure the five-day work week to support the activities of the workless weekend. They lie awake nights, scheming ways to arrange early retirement. Believing God inflicted labor on human beings as punishment for disobedience, they imagine Him angrily screaming at Adam and Eve, 'I'll fix you. From now on, you're doomed to the rock pile of human labor. The best years of your life will be wasted in work, work, work!' In their minds, work becomes a sentence to be served, a penance to be paid, a curse to be endured for a long as necessary." MONEY, MONEY, MONEY isn't PUSHIN' ME to compromise, I don't have to live the life of a rock star or a MACDADDY.

And here is where a lot of people, especially Christians make a huge mistake and it fits right in with our casual Christianity. We try to find and do a "perfect" job where there is no resistance or difficulties. Especially if it's a job or career staffed by non-Christians, God knows we don't like to get out of our comfort zones. We even try to do jobs or careers because our friends or family enjoy them and we just want to fit in, don't we? It's a pretty SAD CONDISHUN, it's part of that "Keeping up with the Jones" mentality.

Most Christians find themselves working in a job that they are NO MORE skilled, gifted or called to do than a an alcoholic working in a liquor store. It may be convenient for them, but ultimately it does more harm than good. Lord, have Mercy on us. As long as we have our ticket to heaven, we're content to be just GETTING BY, that's casual Christianity. But, we each have an amazing dance to dance. Isak Dinesen notes, "To be a person is to have a story to tell." Paul encourages us that whatever we do, do it for the glory of God, no matter how boring or meaningless it may seem ( 1 Corinthians 10:31,Colossians 3:17). I know some of you don't want to hear that, but I'm the salt (Matthew 5:13), not the sugar. If you want sugar, there's plenty of it out there in the world.

Hybels explains, "The truth is, human labor was no more God's curse then life itself. Though the Fall did lead to consequences that tainted work, we can't forget that God introduced the concept of human labor before the Fall. When Adam and Eve were still innocent of sin. God gave them a job to do. He called Adam to name the animals, then He asked Adam and Eve to subdue the animals, manage THE GARDEN of Eden, and prepare food from the plants and trees He had provided. Why would a loving God put His children to work as soon as He created them? Because He knew human labor was a blessing. He knew it would provide them challenges, excitement, adventure, and rewards that nothing else would. He knew that creatures made in His image needed to devote their time to meaningful tasks." Which is why this is an Labor Day weekend blog.

God called work, "GOOD," where did we get the idea it's evil? We can't even flush our own toilets anymore and all of this germ-a-phobe stuff just blows my mind. How can "Christians" who claim God's name and power be afraid of His germs? After my accident I spent 11 months out of work going through rehab. I can attest, it is a blessing to be able to work, no matter what it is. And I must make sure I give the BEST OF ME. Not for my glory, but His.

Listen to what the wisest man ever had to say about work (Ecclesiastes 5:18). Hybels notes, "Vocational authenticity means we pursue the right job (in line with our motivated abilities), for the right reason (to honor God), and finally, that we enjoy the right rewards." You see, when we follow God's plan for our lives and not ours we will be energized and empowered because He can and will work through us, it leaves us FEELING GOOD. It's a lot like electricity. Electricity is when electrons move from one atom to another (voltage) creating unbalance or flow, an electrical current. The end result is a transfer of power; when we work along with God instead of trying to make much of ourselves life flows smoother and we feel alive and our faith sparks.

Not that we won't experience difficulties as Christians. As Bill Purvis recently noted in a sermon , "There is always a cost for allegiance to God ." More often than not we try to force our will and wants which leaves us in a state of static electricity; this is a condition that exists when electrons are displaced and remain so. Static electricity is usually the result of friction. This happens a lot in marriages which is a vow to God about our spouses, not to our spouses (Genesis 2:22-23). Doesn't it? But when we stop being selfish and start listening to those we claim to "LOVE", when we crucify ourselves "daily" (Matthew 10:38, Luke 9:23, 14:27). When we humble ourselves, something changes. Doesn't it? Marriages RESTORE the missing romance, families forget grievances, forgiveness becomes possible. If you're married or planning to get married, the vow is FOR BETTER and worse, even when you HURT THE MOST. Which is what this blog will be about and it is an ELECTRIC AVENUE.

SOMETHING ELECTRIC? (REMIXED AND REPOSTED)

In my last few blogs I've shared THE WAY I FEEL, like I lost contact with God, like I was in OVER MY HEAD. With all the changes going on in my life, I was UNDER PRESSURE and soon like the Proverbial dog I was tempted to return to my vomit. MY LIFE seemed to have no meaning or direction. I sensed that I needed to get away before I fade away. So I decided to take of couple of trips. In another scene form Love's Enduring Promise, Nate has a conversation with an older man, his mentor. In this conversation Nate says, " I felt so much shame and I couldn't Forgive myself, so I began RUNNIN." His mentor replied, "There are times in man's life when he has to go on a journey to find himself, but really he is looking for comfort."

Sounded good to me, so I headed to North Georgia to spend some time with my mentor (Paul I love you) then I went to Helen for church Sunday and possibly a bike ride at Unicoli State Park after lunch on the river. This is where the paradigm shifted. The message brother Jim gave that morning concentrated on the HOLY Spirit. Like the apostle Paul told the church at Corinth over and over, he reminded me that when I accepted Jesus I got all of the Holy Spirit I would ever get. And like Paul told the church in Rome, nothing could ever separate me from Him. So, I asked God what if I stumble and He reminded me that I was forgiven. In his book The Kind of Man Every Man Should Be, Kevin Mccullough says that, "Its not until you open your heart and allow the Holy Spirit to do surgery on your areas of need will you become radically reconnected to God."

Later as I went biking, I began RECONNECTING with God even more. As I was biking up a steep slope I hit a rock or root and fell off my bike and hit the ground hard( I have the bruises to prove it.) I wanted to give up and turn around, but something inside me told me it will be worth the pain. As I biked on up the trail, the views and GOD gave me whole new perspectives. I began to slow down and enjoy the ride. Soon I realized I had somehow gotten off the right path and I was lost. After back tracking back and forth for almost an hour, I called out God ARE YOU REAL? I was lost and my legs were hurting. It was like God was saying THIS IS YOUR LIFE. I told God that the climb was killing me, I was hurt and I couldn't even catch my breath.

In that moment I remembered the apostle Paul saying that suffering is God's chisel which produces perseverance, character, hope and with hope there is no shame. Because God's real love has been poured into our hearts by the spirit of SWEET JESUS. Wow, I could finally breathe you in. Next THE GREAT ADVENTURE took me down to Florida where I spent a lot of time on the Eau Gallie pier. It was there God told me to BE STILL AND KNOW I am God and I am making you into SOMETHING ELECTRIC.

TIMING 2.0?

I have already explained in a previous blog about men and timing. Three years ago I had the opportunity to go back to Colorado for a visit and I remembered my childhood dream to return to Colorado and settle down one day. After I returned to Georgia I had the desire to pack up and move back to Colorado for good. My pastor even encouraged me to go. Those of you who know me, know how bad I wanted to go. However deep down inside I felt God telling me it wasn't time for me to go.

It was sort of like what happened to the apostle Paul (Acts 16:6-10) as God directed my path; I found God telling me to just BE STILL. I even found myself asking God," HOW LONG, SAY SOMETHING?" Author S. H. B. Masterman explains, "God often comforts us, not by changing the circumstances of our lives, but by changing our attitude toward them." As much and as bad as I want to be in Colorado with all of its beauty and splendor, deep down inside I KNOW that heaven will ALWAYS BE MY HOME where I will look into MY SAVIOR'S FACE for eternity.

In the Bible the word "still is entioned 62 times. The phrase, "be still" is mentioned 7 times and it means so much more than NOBODY MOVE; I now understand why, being still requires patience and humility. I don't mean out of fear or laziness, but out of FAITH and power. You see when we are still, we put our faith and trust in God. It's an act of surrender to God and it's one of the hardest things to do. Isn't it? When we want something so bad: security, love, marriage, or reputation; the last thing we want to do is be still. Jon Bloom explains, "At the root of insecurity — the anxiety over how others think of us — is pride."

As sure AS THE SUN RISES, pride comes before the fall. Likewise humility comes before grace ( James 4:4-7). If we're prideful we don't need God, we don't need any help, Do we? We can make it on our own, right? John Piper recently tweeted, "You can't cherish a humble Christ and choose a proud position (Mark 10:43-45)." It just doesn't compute. Still, I know He will never let me down.

In the Jewish of sacrificing to God the sacrifices were sometimes tied down to the altar to keep them still. Part of the torture of Roman crucifixion required the victim to be either nailed or tied to the cross, hence they were stilled. Weren't they? Even our Lord was nailed to a cross; not that the nails could hold Him there, it was love that held Him to the cross and nothing else. Not man, not Satan, not even our sin. It disgusts me when Christians say their sin nailed Jesus to the cross in an attempt to sound spiritual.. great. They speak out of ignorance. Man killed God, really? Isn't that blasphemy? Jesus made it clear that no one takes His life from Him, but He gives it of his own accord (John 10;17-18). That is love. You see LOVE IS SO BEAUTIFUL when it's sacrificial.... it's Real.

It's the only thing that can keep you in a marriage or relationship you want out of because you're not happy, feel unloved or believe that you made a mistake. The apostle Paul commanded husbands to love their wives like Christ loved the church; men, it's love like this that enables us to endure hardships in our marriages, that's becoming more like God. After all GOD IS LOVE (1 John 4:8). Will you make the sacrifice? Will you be crucified? It's GOD'S MOTTO.

In a recent message Bill Purvis explained, "Levitical priests would place sacrificed animals under the altar until the priests decided what to do with them, it was the priests choice of how the sacrifices were used and spent." Yet, Jesus is our high Priest, listen to what John tells us occurs with the martyrs who cry out to God for justice (Revelation 6:9-11). God tells them to REST and wait. There will be waiting in heaven, not something most of us want to hear, is it?

A lot has happened since I came back from Colorado nearly three years ago and by the grace of God, I've COME A LONG WAY, some of which I wish I could have avoided like all of the betrayal and my broken heart. However, I would have spent the rest of my life wondering what if and I would have missed out on $10,000 worth of grants the state of Georgia. I never would've had the opportunity to pursue my passion for writing through Christian Writer's Guild. It was a passion that started when I was in seventh grade and led me to major in English during college. It wasn't until 2004 when I began writing screenplays that I remembered that passion God had given me as a child. God has blessed me with a lot of things to help me work more for Him, not that I can be great. Not that I can boast about what I've accomplish or possess (1 Corinthians 1:29, Ephesians 2:9).

Yet the years in between, God was still working on making me into the CHILD OF GOD He wanted me to be; it was those six years walking in darkness that my passion for dancing and dance music, LOUD MUSIC was born and still drives me today as I am a avid Jam SK8R. But it was through my accident that God stilled me. Each time I've tried to pack up and head back to Colorado, God has placed an obstacle in my way and He stills me again. I can almost hear Him ask, "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?"

Even with all of the bad that's happened to me these last two years, I can see how God is working it out for my good. Now I can say, I have NO REGRETS and I know the young woman I love is where she needs to be, with who she needs to be with and I'm on the path God has for me. LOOK AT ME NOW, Hopefully I'm ready now.

In a recent message James Merritt he explained, "God often allows malicious people to hurt you." Look at Joseph (Genesis 50:20-21). God is sovereign and He knows how my life will go from beginning to end. He knows every step of THE DANCE I am dancing with Him, He's the LORD OF THE DANCE. Author Jay E. Adams writes, "When one is free to live as God intended, he is truly free indeed." It's what we skaters call a FREE SKATE, where each skater skates in their own style. Are you ready to dance with Him? WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Jesus made it clear there's plenty of work to do (Matthew 9:37,20:1, Luke 10:2, John 4:35,James 5:4). Now let's GET BUSY.

DANCE?

Those of you who know me, know that I tend to think outside the box... I dance to the beat of a DIFFERENT DRUM. And I'M ALRIGHT with it, I am at peace with who God is making me to be and I know that there won't be another like me, I'm determined to WALK IT OUT. God has a specific purpose for me in His kingdom. Even with my disability and my mistakes, nose-ring and all. He will take me as I am. Likewise you are the only you and there is no one else like you. Bill Purvis recently noted, " God made us brothers and sisters, but He didn't make us identical twins." I don't have to be the next David Platt or Max Locuado, I just have to be the first Martin Johnson.

I recently received a letter from Jerry Jenkins and the Christian Writer's Guild with my materials for my next class, I instantly felt humbled and scared; by no means am I educated, trained or gifted enough to receive such praise from experienced and qualified men and women. I know that EVEN IF I never see any of my screenplays on the big screen or see a book I've written on the best seller's list, it's okay. Because I know, I have been obedient to what God has told me to do. John MacArthur explains, "God's favorite instruments are nobodies, so that no man can boast before God. In other words, God chooses whom he chooses in order that He might receive the glory." He makes us a champion.

Heck, I don't have to be married or a relationship to be my best; often when we start looking for someone else to make us happy or feel loved, we end up disappointed and LOVESICK. Because there's only one who is perfect, He's the PERFECT ONE that steadies my heart. It is in my savior only that I am made COMPLETE. This gives me peace because I still haven't found, a real BIBLE GIRL. I'm not buying into the "Jerry Maguire" mentality where I have to be with someone to be complete. WELCOME TO THE WORLD, I CHOOSE JESUS.hat's why I GIVE YOU MY LIFE the Lord, I surrender.

Michael Catt explains in his book Power of Surrender, "The coming of revival in our time will demand personal preparation among God's people. We must sow our seed in anticipation of a harvest. We must sow with prayerful expectation. As we prepare our hearts, souls, and minds for God to work, we position ourselves to expect Him, to hear Him, to see Him. Let it start with you. You can have revival even if no one else does. The choice is yours. Do you want to live with all God has for you, or are you willing to settle for less than God's best? Surrender is a personal issue before it ever becomes a corporate issue."

This is where a lot of us miss the big picture when we try to be someone God never intended us to be..to be more. We forget that God doesn't call the able, He enables the called; He uses the humble, the available. Not the best of this world. God uses those who are the best at being themselves, who He created and gifted uniquely. Here is where the Jesus paradigm shifts our focus, Jesus makes it clear, the greatest in His kingdom are the ones who humble themselves and totally surrender their wants for greatness (Matthew 23:11-12, Luke 18:14). Author Edwin Louis Cole writes,"God authors desires in your heart, then fulfills His will by enabling you to realize those desires."

In his book Twelve Ordinary Men, John MacArthur explains, " If you've ever visited the great cathedrals of Europe, you might assume that the apostles were larger-than-life stained-glass saints with shining halos who represented an exalted degree of spirituality. The fact of the matter is that they were very, very common men. It's a shame they have so often been put on pedestals as magnificent marble figures or portrayed in paintings like some kind of Roman gods. That dehumanizes them. They were just twelve completely ordinary men-- perfectly human in every way. We mustn't lose touch with who they really were...That means these few men, whose backgrounds were in mundane trades and earthly occupations, had little more than 18 month's training for the monumental task each they were called....There was no second string, no backup plan, no Plan B if the 12 should fail. The strategy sounds risky in the extreme. In earthly terms, the founding of the church to spread the gospel message depended entirely on those 12 ordinary men with their many obvious weaknesses--- and one of them so devilish as to betray the Lord of the universe." Yet, the church feels called to greatness. The problem is if greatness brings glory onto us and not to God; we're serving ourselves, not Christ. Nor our brothers. Remember this is a team effort; I can't be a ME MONSTER.

One of the greatest patriarchs of the faith, King David was a lowly shepherd boy who lived in the shadows of his older brothers and he was content with it, he never sought greatness. It was God who anointed David for greatness. Afterwards David went back to tending sheep until it was God's time for David to move up that ladder to greatness. Ironically later the "other son of David" refers to Himself as the Good Shepard, pretty humble, huh? Yet, David had the AWESOME privilege of being called, "a man after God's own heart."

Although pride was the downfall of the devil (Lucifer) the prophet Ezekiel tells us that God created Satan and he was so perfect and beautiful God calls him His "anointed" angel until Lucifer aspired to be great like our great God. Lucifer's quest for greatness cost him both his beauty and anointing (Ezekiel 28:12-18). Anointed means to be set apart for God's Divine purpose. It also means "bestowal of God's divine "favor", and "appointment" to a special place or function. Later Peter tells the church that we are set apart for God's purpose, not ours (1 Peter 2: 9). I can't but wonder if the church is on the same path as Lucifer with it's selfish pursuit for greatness. They think He's gonna give it to 'em.

Listen to what the prophet Jeremiah had to say when God's people became selfish (Jeremiah 2:10-13), SHE'S MRS. SIN. Yet, IN SPITE OF ALL of its flaws, Christ still went to the cross for her and was crucified, that's amazing love! Every man has dreamed of creating a perfect woman, his perfect bride. Jesus is the only man who created His bride and who did He use to put her together? The best, the most skilled, the rich, the qualified? Nope, He chose sinful, broken and earthly vessels ( Psalm 31:12, 88:5, Jeremiah 22:28) to make lsomething beautiful.


MacArthur continues, "But Christ knew what He was doing, from His divine perspective, the ultimate success of the strategy actually depended on the Holy Spirit working in those men to accomplish His sovereign will. It was a mission that could not be thwarted. That's why it was the work which God alone deserves praise and glory. Those men were merely instruments in His hands-- just as you and I can be God's instruments today. God delights to use such ordinary means--' The foolish things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are: that no flesh should glory in His presence (1 Corinthians 1:27-29)."

The Army calls their enlisted jobs MOSs, or "Military Occupation Specialties." The Army has around 190 MOSs available for enlisted Soldiers. Enlisted soldiers are trained in certain areas of specialty ranging from seemingly menial jobs in the kitchen or supply rooms to advanced jobs in logistics or weaponry. However, every soldier is required to perform the job he was trained for or else the integrity of the mission could be compromised, hoo. That's why we need each other in God's Army of one. My father was a cook in the Army, he and his best friend taught other soldiers how to cook; without them doing the job they were trained, thousands of soldiers wouldn't have had food to eat. I had the opportunity to visit with him in mess halls from Fort Carson Colorado to Vicenza, Italy. I can still remember as a little boy watching my father carve an apple into a bird. And you know how much I like birds. All because my father was faithful with the gifts and passions God had given him.

The uniqueness God has given each of us serves a purpose for God's glory, that's why we should celebrate our uniqueness. Right, Red? That was the genius of how Jesus picked His disciples; which by definition means student or pupil. They were trained for the task by following Christ. Some literally to the cross, but all lived crucified lives after meeting Him, will you? Leo Buscaglia once noted, "Change is the end result of all true learning." Which is appropriate seeing how in less than a month the season will change to Fall.

John tells us that Jesus stands at the door of our hearts and knocks (Revelation 3:20-21), will you answer to His call on your life? Or will you selfishly pursue what you want? Discernment is not needed to understand what God wants from us, REAL RECOGNIZES REAL. If we simply watch where God is working in our lives, keep our eye on it and join Him, He will make us MORE THAN CONQUERORS. Instead most Christians want God to join them and bless them with what they want, at all costs. I'M FOCUSED on God. If we're in God's will, there is no need to creep around or to try to manipulate God to accomplish what He wants. That's what snakes do, I'm a snake stomper, like my Lord. While I was in Colorado I visited a church there where the pastor encouraged visitors, "Whatever your gift is, there is a place for you to serve and minister, here." Amen, pastor Boyd!

Matthew West explains in The Story of Your Life Interactive Journey, "When I was a kid, I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books. These were unlike any other books because the way the story would unfold depended upon the choices you made every few pages. Each choice you made reduced the possible number of endings to the story that you might experience and drew you more inevitably to certain conclusions. Every choice mattered, and had a direct impact on the outcome. The same is true in life. So how do we go about making wise choices? Do we simply depend on how we feel in the moment, or do we want to step into the story that already awaits us—written in advance? Do we want to choose our own adventure? Or choose the adventure that the Author has scripted especially for each of us? Here is an element of free will within our story. We can choose the wrong plot line for our lives. We can rebel, we can ignore God's best, we can strike out on our own. What will you do? Will you use your free will to choose the path that God has already chosen for you? And if you have strayed from that path, will you make the choices that put you back on the right course? In the greatest chapter on faith in the Bible (Hebrews 11) we read about the patriarchs of the faith who were ordinary people until they had an encounter with God, He made them great. There is even a prostitute listed as a patriarch of the faith. Maybe there's hope for the church, after all. I can only imagine what the church could do if she were hopelessly devoted to the bridegroom. I am convinced the world would never be the same. The longer you dance with someone, the more you get used to their style and technique, eventually the movement is fluid and powerful as greased lightning, isn't it Red? Casual Christianity is neither biblical or radical, it's merely static. Bottom line is we need more unity within the church, that's why I'm not ridin' solo, I CAN'T DO THIS alone and. Like in a marriage we need to allow our uniqueness to bring us together and glorify God, that was Christ's prayer (John 17:21) besides, I need someone help me GET UP when I fall, not IF I fall, I am human. I'm sure the way the church is acting breaks God's heart. World Vision founder Bob Pierce explains,"Let my heart be broken with the things that break God's heart."

The disciples were not following other rabbis, thus they weren't that great by the standards of the religious establishment or the world. Some of them continued in their family businesses until the Master knew it was time to start putting together His church... His bride, He wasn't one day too late. And who did He call? Not those seeking greatness, remember the Jews expected a mighty, Royal King. He chose hard-working and faithful men. Because He knew each had a HEART OF COURAGE, after all He made them for the dance.

Hybels continues, "Extenuating circumstances sometimes force us to settle for jobs outside of our range of interests and strengths, but to the extent we can, we should view them as temporary." Just believe THEY'LL COME A DAY when God blesses you with a job that He created you for. Matthew shares a parable Jesus told about talents the master entrusted to his servants. To the ones who were faithful with little, Jesus said, " well done and then gave them more (Matthew 25:14-30). The gospel is clear, God is the One who exalts men and makes them great ( 1 Samuel 2:7, Deuteronomy 8:17-18, 2 Kings 9:6,Job 1:21, Job 5:11, 40:12, Psalm 75:7). Theologian William Barclay once noted, "To every man God gives His task. It may be one of which all men will know and which history will remember or it may be one of which no one will ever hear, but either case it is a task for God." Lord, it's all in your hands.

Matthew shares a story about two of the first disciples TRIPPIN' over each other to be great in the kingdom of God ( Matthew 20:21-28) to which Jesus made it clear that it is God alone who gives positions of greatness. I have experienced this scenario countless times during Bible study or a small group meeting. Why can't we just be satisfied with who God created us to be and RUN WITH IT? John MacArthur explains, "It's not the man; it's the truth of God and the power of God in the man. (We need to remind some preachers today of this. It's not their cleverness or their personality. The power is in the word-- the truth that we preach-- not in us.)"

Matthew West continues, "If we are the authors, how can there be so many moments when the story feels completely out of our control? All the self-help books in the world can't prevent us from discovering that sometimes you just can't help yourself. Instead of struggling to control the story all by ourselves, we can choose to hand the pen and paper over to a Higher Power, and live out that story that He is writing.To live recognizing your place in God's story is to embark on an adventure. People might think you're crazy for choosing a path like that. Sometimes you might think you're crazy! But you know there is a path He wants you to walk. The story of your life is being written every mo-ment of every day. But who is doing the writing?"

The Christian Writer's Guild is made up of many writers with different callings, some feel called to write blogs and articles, while others to write Christian devotionals and short stories; personally I feel called and gifted to write Christian screenplays and books on discipleship. Still we each have a common goal, using our gifts and talents to glorify God and take the good news to the corners of the earth. That is the work He has given us to do. What's your story?

Matthew West points out, "Stories can help us remember where we have been and what God has done for us. When we begin to lose heart, we sometimes need to be reminded about what God has done. The stories of God's actions in the past give us hope for the future. Stories help us to become engaged in our own lives. It is all too easy to live our lives in a detached fashion. Stories help us learn to live better lives. They shape us and teach us how to live. The examples we draw from the stories in books and movies, or friends and relatives, or the stories written in God's Word, all help us figure out how we should live. Stories give a shape to our lives, rescuing us from the mistake of thinking that our existence is just the accumulation of a random series of events. When we think about our own lives as stories it helps us remember that we are characters, not spectators. Thinking about our lives in terms of a story reminds us that God is at work in our lives. That means that our lives are not just an accident. Instead, they are filled with meaning."

The apostle Paul explains how God wonderfully made and put the church together so that no one part or member is greater than the other (1 Corinthians 12:6-12). Each one is different yet serves a specific purpose, and thus we dance together for the glory of God, we are one. Much like a husband and wife are different, yet God masterfully weaves them together as one, doesn't He? And they retain their individualalities while being one, no wonder Paul calls it a mystery (Ephesians 5:25-32). Remember the flash mob?

Paul goes on to tell the church in Rome that unless we are crucified and die with Christ, we will not live with Him (Romans 6:1-9). Charles Spurgeon once stated,"I have now concentrated all my prayers into one, and that one prayer is this, that I may die to self, and live wholly to God." Thus, this is how the church is to function and when we do our light will shine bright like a shooting star; which God told Job He arranged, not a big bang (Job 38:31-33). Together the church can be UNSTOPPABLE and something electric.









MusicPlaylistRingtones
Music Playlist at MixPod.com

2 comments:

  1. I like all the research and different authors you pulled in. I especially apreciated the image of static electricity. Good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job! Great Links! "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." Love it!

    ReplyDelete